Relationship Boosters Podcast Episode 29
Dr. Kia James
A Communication Killer
Criticism is not keeping it real, It is an attack of your partner.
- As opposed to stating that you have a concern, you attack your partner by stating that they have a character flaw.
- You tell your partner, “something is wrong with you.” as opposed to stating that you have a problem about a specific situation or event.
- The recipient of the criticism many times feels disrespected.
- Criticism shuts down communication
- Criticism many time starts with the statement you always or you never.
- You always make a mess. You never take out the trash.
- Being critical leads to high level conflict
We all have complaints
I am not saying that you should not communicate your complaints. What I am saying is that you should not justify an attack of your partner due to you being dissatisfied with a situation.
- A complaint allows your partner to know what you like and don’t like.
- It opens the door for more communication.
- You are sharing facts about a specific event or a situation. Sticking to the facts helps.
Attack defend cycle
Being brutally honest without tact does not communicate that you are attempting to solve a problem. This type of critical communication many times puts your partner in a defensive place. This derails the conversation and problems are not solved.
Take responsibility for yourself and your behavior. If you want to have effective communication, don’t begin a conversation in a way that will be unproductive. If you need additional assistance, check out our mini-course Communicate Like a Pro, and avoid turning a disagreement into a full blown argument.
Building Your Extraordinary Relationship: As relationship counselors and coaches, we have packages to help you improve your relationship. If your relationship is in need of a jump start or relationship repair, contact us and we will be glad to help with boosting your relationship.
Events Workshops and Retreats: “Improve Your Relationship & Have an Enjoyable “Couples Playdate” Retreat Style. We recognize the need for couples to continue to enhance their relationship. We host couples retreats and teach couples skills to enhance their relationship. We would love to see you at one of our upcoming events.
Thank You for Listening
Thank you for taking the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with other couples, friends, or your partner using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes. This helps the podcast reach more couples who want to build an extraordinary relationship