Relationship Boosters Podcast Episode 25
Interview with Julie Hanson
Diversity Series Part 2: Navigating the World in a Biracial Relationship
Culture and Relationships
- An interracial relationship is when two individuals come together from different cultural backgrounds.
- Culture refers to a group of individuals who share common customs, beliefs, and attitudes. Culture can be shared through language, rituals, art, dance etc.?
- A few examples of cultural categories are religion, ethnicity, sexual-orientation, and socio-economic status.
Be Open to Having Conversations About Cultural Differences.
There are many topics where cultural differences may play a significant role in your relationship. If they are not addressed, these differences can divide you and your significant other. There are too many categories to name them all, but a few topics are listed below.
- Parenting Styles
- The Meaning of money
Dealing with Discrimination
Since the election, racism and hateful individuals have become more emboldened; therefore, racial tensions is a current trending topic in the States. More relationship distress can come from discrimination if it is not addressed in your relationship. Here are some tips for couples to manage racial discrimination.
- Stay calm, don’t feed into ignorance and hostility. You don’t know the capability of someone else; therefore, It is best not to get into a battle that may cause you harm.
- Be an ally to someone who is experiencing racial discrimination.
- If your family is the culprit of racial tension, you do not have to cut them off. Do not ignore the fact that your family is negatively impacting your relationship. Make sure to establish appropriate boundaries, so that their behavior and thoughts do not contribute to increased stress in your relationship.
- If your friends or family have a “stick to your own mentality,” make your decisions with the strongest, smartest, whole hearted part of yourself.
It is human nature to remain in your comfort zone. Many people flock to others who look like them or think like them. The beauty of diversity is that it takes us away from our past ignorance, and allows us to be curious versus critical.
If you would like to connect with Julie Hanson, you can follow the link to connect with her website.
Don’t Miss The Couples Breakaway Cruise: Our upcoming cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway leaves from NY on September 17th – 24th. We will have a couple’s workshop, 3 DJ’s from NY, 5 Private Parties, All You Can Eat, All You Can Drink, and much, much, more. The current price includes all gratuities, taxes, and fees. DON’T MISS THE BOAT!
Building Your Extraordinary Relationship: As relationship counselors and coaches, we have packages to help you improve your relationship. If your relationship is in need of a jump start or relationship repair, contact us and we will be glad to help with boosting your relationship.
Events Workshops and Retreats: “Improve Your Relationship & Have an Enjoyable “Couples Playdate” Retreat Style. We recognize the need for couples to continue to enhance their relationship. We host couples retreats and teach couples skills to enhance their relationship. We would love to see you at one of our upcoming events.
Thank You for Listening
Thank you for taking the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with other couples, friends, or your partner using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes. This helps the podcast reach more couples who want to build an extraordinary relationship
What Men Really Want In Relationships!
We want you to know what they want from their perspective.