Sexual Minorities and Relationships
Podcast Episode 24
Xanthia Johnson LPC, LCPC, ACS, RPT-S
Diversity and Relationships Series (Ep 1)
There are many potential problems and stressors that impact sexual minorities who are in intimate relationships. The term sexual minority refers to individuals who identify as the Gay Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Questioning, Queer, and Non-binary. During the Podcast, Xanthia shares relationship do’s and don’ts for sexual minorities.
Role Models for Healthy Intimate Relationships
- Many sexual minorities did not see healthy models for relationships.
- Relying on stereotypes and peers to learn how to interact with each other in their relationships can create challenges.
- Having appropriate role models can assist with creating healthy relationships.
Managing Layers of Discrimination
- It is important to manage discrimination so it does not destroy your relationship.
- Address feelings of discrimination in your relationship.
- Set healthy boundaries for family and friends that may engage in discriminatory behavior.
- Internalized homophobia can cause negative feelings and create relationship stress
There is a Difference Between Privacy and Secrecy
- It is ok for you to have privacy in your relationship. Everyone does not need to know your personal business.
- Recognize the difference between Privacy and Secrecy.
- Secrecy is laced with guilt and shame, which can be cancerous to the relationship.
There is a Help for Your Relationship
- Xanthia shares tips for relationship health.
- Individual or couples counseling can be helpful.
Remember, relationships are like plants. Your relationship can not grow in the dark without water. If you want a healthy relationship, you must work on the relationship. All relationships need to be nourished.
Xanthia is a therapist with experience working with couples, children, and families. Follow the link to connect with her:
Building Your Extraordinary Relationship: As relationship counselors and coaches, we have packages to help you improve your relationship. If your relationship is in need of a jump start or relationship repair, contact us and we will be glad to help with boosting your relationship.
Events Workshops and Retreats: “Improve Your Relationship & Have an Enjoyable “Couples Playdate” Retreat Style. We recognize the need for couples to continue to enhance their relationship. We host couples retreats and teach couples skills to enhance their relationship. We would love to see you at one of our upcoming events.
Thank You for Listening
Thank you for taking the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with other couples, friends, or your partner using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes. This helps the podcast reach more couples who want to build an extraordinary relationship
What Men Really Want In Relationships!
We want you to know what they want from their perspective.